Why In News?
The U.S. Defence Secretary recently said that Germany has not decided whether to allow its Leopard 2 tanks to be sent to Ukraine.
- It is a German – made main battle tank, developed by German weapons manufacturer Krauss – Maffei Wegmann (KMW).
- Leopard was first produced in the late 1990s for the West German army in response to Soviet threats during the Cold War.
- These tanks are armed with 120mm smoothbore cannon.
- It is also armed with two coaxial light machine guns.
- They also provide all – around protection for troops from threats such as mines, anti – tank fire, and improvised explosive devices.
- Range: 500 km (311 miles)