Why in news?
Kerala has witnessed two cases of the gastrointestinal infection norovirus.
- Norovirus is one of the primary causes of gastroenteritis. Majority of the victims are below five Years and above 65 years.
- The virus is capable of surviving low temperatures & outbreaks tend to be more common during the winter & in colder countries.
- Hence, it is sometimes referred to as “winter vomiting disease”.
The infection occurs through contaminated food & water. It can spread between humans due to Contact.
Major symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea & abdominal pain. It is associated with Dehydration.
There is no particular medication to treat norovirus illness. To avoid dehydration, liquids have to be consumed.
- Following hygienic practices, including washing hands with soap
- Using disinfectants to wash areas inhabited by infected person.
- Food items must be washed and cooked at high temperatures.